Red Rock, Texas (Bastrop County)
The following History of Red Rock, Texas is taken from The New Handbook
of Texas published by The Texas State Historical Association in 1996.
(Bastrop County). Red
Rock, twelve miles southwest of Bastrop
in southwestern Bastrop County, is said to have derived its name from a red
rock used in building the chimney of first
settler James Brewer's house in the early 1850s. During its early days the
settlement was apparently also called Hannah Land. A Red
Rock post office was established in 1870.
By the mid-1870s the Red Rock
Male and Female Academy was in operation, and Red
Rock residents were entertaining the
populace of surrounding towns with a community dramatic troupe. Red
Rock was described in 1879 as a
"thriving village," and five years later it had a population of 150, a
steam gristmill, and a cotton gin. Around 1890 the Missouri, Kansas and Texas
Railroad extended its line, and the community moved a mile to meet it. Red
Rock then had 200 people, the gristmill
and gin, three general stores, a drugstore, and a dry goods store. The early
years of the twentieth century brought a wave of growth to the community. A 1909
newspaper estimated the population at 500 and called Red Rock "a splendid
cotton market." The town had a bank with assets close to $60,000, and the
cotton gin was processing 2,500 bales annually. In 1914 the community's
population was reported as 350, and it had Baptist and Christian churches.
During the 1920s the Red Rock
area became an oil-drilling site, with wells developed by the mid-1930s. No boom
in population resulted, however, and the community remained primarily a center
for agriculture and cattle raising. The population dipped to 100 in 1940, then
increased to 250 and remained steady for the next two decades. In the late 1960s
it again dropped and was estimated at 100 through 1990.
Return to the Bastrop History
Bastrop High School Class Reunions
The Community |
Site Search | Meet Neil
Gurwitz | Community Calendar
Photo Tours |
Mailing List | Links
Web hosting, design, and database development by
Eager Web Services, LLC
Copyright © 1999-2005 Bastrop Texas Network. All rights reserved.